Monday 8 February 2016

The Musings

So I have settled on the Codex I want to use and I've realised something- I've chosen the codex purely because I love the models- I have a feeling that this will not transpose well into gameplay!

They are stunning sculpts though, aren't they?!



So for the next Blog Post I thought it might be worth taking a look at what limitations and restrictions I've imposed upon myself by choosing this codex.



The first, and what I foresee to be the biggest, problem I can see myself facing is anything with an Armour Value. I don't even mean a particularly high armour value. Just Armour in general. The Codex just simply doesn't give you much in the way of anti-tank. Raiders with Dark Lances and Talos with either Heat Lance or Haywire Blaster seem to be about the only viable ranged methods of dealing with any form of Armour. This means that it very unlikely that the Venom I've purchased will see any use in a force this small- but more on that shortly.

The second problem I can see myself facing is ranged combat overall. Everything about this army screams mêlée. In the basic Wrack units I think it is a no brainer to opt for the Ossefactor each time just to add a bit of a ranged punch. The Liquifier Gun is too random, and also too close ranged. That latter point may seem rather odd, given I've already said that Wracks are essentially a combat unit but the Ossefactor, with its range of 24", will get multiple rounds of shooting out and should, hopefully, average more wounds inflicted for exactly the same points cost. It's at this point that the Venom would really come into it's own, as it can take 2 Splinter Cannons. These would massively increase the firepower of the force. But then it comes down to the choice of Splinter Cannons for anti-infantry or Dark Lances for anti-tank. Nothing else in the army can handle tanks so it has to be the Dark Lances and Raiders I think.


So what have I concluded. Probably that at every possible opportunity I need to take a Raider with a Dark Lance. I Figure that the maximum I can physically take is going to be 4 because I can only have 2 of each type of unit. so 2 units of Wracks and 2 units of Grotesques, each taking a Raider as a dedicated Transport. 4 Dark Lances in 750 points- I hope it's enough.

I will just have to pray that I am not against someone who happens to have gone for lots of tanks. Allied with someone who has decided to use lots of tanks. Basically if I'm up against anyone who is heavy on Armour I would like to take this opportunity to apologise to my ally. I will spend the entire game zooming around the board as fast as possible, while making "vwoooooom" noises, until the game ends.


2 comments:

  1. Yes, I was considering taking a lot of armour for entirely this reason. Leman Russ tanks say "om nom nom" to your tasty fleshlings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't really need to even be as tough as a Russ! that's the frightening bit! I'd basically end up having to use Dark Lances to deal with anything over a Rhino!!!

      Delete